Metacognition and Mindfulness: Academic Literacies for the 21st Century
A Regional Readding Apprenticeship Conference - Fourth Annual Conference
Request for Proposals to Present
We invite presenters to submit a proposal for presentation at this regional conference. Please read through the goals for attendees, the guidelines for presentation ensure you are available to present and then complete the online presentation proposal found at the bottom of this page.
Goals for Conference attendees:
- Deepen your learning about how to engage students and colleagues in collaborative inquiry about their varied reading processes, fostering discipline-specific “metacognitive conversation” in classrooms and professional learning communities.
- Deepen their understanding of Reading Apprenticeship as an instructional framework and improve their skills for implementing the framework in classrooms and in professional development with colleagues.
- Learn how faculty across the disciplines make the complex, invisible processes they use as readers visible to students, helping them develop reading expertise in specific disciplines
- Learn to help other faculty make changes in their classroom practice, building on students’ strengths as readers and learners, and providing students greater access to text for learning in the content areas. This will result in increased student engagement and efficacy in reading.
- Network with your peers using Reading Apprenticeship.
- Practice some of the routines that move students into metacognitive conversations.
- Learn how to incorporate Reading Apprenticeship routines into lessons with disciplinary texts.
The following presenter guidelines will apply:
- Presenters will complete the online proposal before December 1, 2017.
- Presenters will be notified via email of their selection to present on or before January 10, 2018.
- Presenters need to register and mark selected Presenter on their registration; there will be no registration fee for one key presenter and one co-presenter.
- The key presenter (1 person) will receive a stipend of $100.00 per presentation. This stipend will be mailed out at the end of the conference.
- Presenters will need to bring their laptops, audio speakers (if applicable), and specialized technology.
- We have a limited number of document cameras, which we will provide on a first come first serve basis. We will try to schedule the presentations needing these document cameras in the rooms with document cameras in place.
- Presenters should plan on 50 copies of handouts.
- A presenter may submit more than one proposal to submit. Each selected presentation will receive a stipend of $100.
Please contact Michele Lesmeister;
- (425) 235-2352, ext. 2055.
Important Conference details
The conference will be a day and a half held at Renton Technical College on March 9 and 10, 2018.
Friday afternoon March 9, 2018
|2 p.m.||Registration opens|
|3 p.m. to 5 p.m.||2-hour intensive workshops that meld theory and practice|
|5 p.m. to 7 p.m.||Food, wine, raffles, and entertainment|
Saturday – All day – March 10, 2018
|7 a.m.||Registration and Networking|
|7:45 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.||Breakfast|
|9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.||Concurrent Session 1|
|10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.||Concurrent Session 2|
|12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|1:45 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.||Concurrent Session 3|
|3:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.||Raffles and end of the conference|