Central Service Technician
Central service technicians work in health care facilities to prepare and sterilize devices and supplies used to care for patients. This program offers the training and clinical experience to become a certified Central Service Technician. It can also be a first step towards a career in healthcare. Coursework includes an overview of microbiology, disinfection and sterilization procedures, surgical instrument identification and more. The program includes an internship at a local hospital.
Enrollment Point: Summer, Winter
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
At Renton Technical College, tuition is affordable and competitive.
Federal aid is available for most students to help pay for school. Fill out your FAFSA now to get started.
The RTC Foundation offers scholarships to help pay the costs of attending school.
All costs are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
Monday - Friday
Hours may vary based on specific program requirements. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
- Must take the Accuplacer test before entering the program or being placed on the pre-registration list.
- Communication involving patient care in the clinical setting is critical to patient safety. All students shall be fluent in the English language, including verbal and written language.
- Students must create an account with Castle Branch and complete the following:
- Complete and pass a Nationwide criminal background check (Crimes against persons list) within 3 months prior to admission into the program at https://portal.castlebranch.com/rr63 (use package code Rr64).
- Meet vaccination and program specific health requirements in compliance with the Center for Disease Control Healthcare Provider immunization guidelines, including the submission of original lab results, x-ray reports and immunization records which are dated and signed by their healthcare provider. Immunization timeline table.
- Health insurance, both injury and sickness, is required for participation in the program.
- Current (within one year) evaluation by a physician or nurse practitioner to ensure student and patient safety. The evaluation should address the following areas in respect to the student's ability to perform the laboratory skills and clinical responsibilities related to becoming a Central Service Technician:
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and to reach overhead.
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods.
|Course #||Course Title||Crs|
|CST 100||Central Service Technician Fundamentals||8|
|CST 102||Healthcare Provider First Aid/CPR, AED, and Bloodborne Pathogens||2|
|CST 104||Central Service Technician Basic Sciences||3|
|CST 105||Central Service Technician Skills Laboratory||3|
|CST 191||Central Service Clinical Practicum I||4|
|CST 192||Central Service Clinical Practicum II||10|
- Maintain a safe and efficient work environment that complies with the current industry standards while utilizing knowledge in the role of Central Service Technician.
- Demonstrate the ability to abide by professional and ethical standards of the Central Service Department and assume responsibility for professional growth within the profession.
- Communicate effectively with external and internal customers of a diverse population on a professional level.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and reasoning skills to prioritize, anticipate and ecvaluate the needs of the department and customers of the Central Service Department.
- Perform the principles of infection control and personal protection in the decontamination, prep/assembly and sterilizing of surgical instrumentation and equipment for patient care.
- Qualify to take the national certification test for Central Service Technicians given by the International Association of HealthCare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM).
External accreditation is not applicable to this program.