Current and future RTC Allied Health and Pre-Nursing Students—Join an innovative program that:
will improve the health of our community.
is a collaboration between Renton Technical College and Valley Medical Center.
allows you the opportunity to provide one-on-one assistance and coaching to a patient as well as monthly rounding with a team of primary care professionals.
provides you with professional development and team learning opportunities throughout the duration of the experience.
teaches valuable communication skills, including an introduction to motivational interviewing, and offers first-hand experience working with patients.
offers a one-of-a-kind community service opportunity that will look great on your resume when applying for future positions in healthcare.
Apply today to be part of the RTC/VMC Health Coach program beginning Fall 2019!
Through this program, students will obtain education related to chronic medical conditions and insights for promoting positive health behaviors. Students who successfully complete the 11-week course will then receive 8 months of real-world training and experience helping patients make positive health and lifestyle changes through Valley Medical Center’s Highlands Clinic. Health Coaches provide extended, one-on-one assistance in patient homes, community locations and clinic settings for 4 to 6 hours per week while simultaneously
- learning valuable skills to become a future healthcare worker,
- improving patient outcomes, and
- lowering healthcare costs.
Now accepting applications for the Fall 2019 Quarter.
The Health Coach program is a one-year commitment which entails:
- A 2-credit training course at Renton Technical College in Fall 2019 – TUITION FOR THE HEALTH COACH CLASS WILL BE PAID BY VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER.
- A three-quarter, non-credited community service program: Winter 2020 through Summer 2020 in collaboration with Valley Medical Center’s Highlands Clinic. If selected, Health Coaches must provide own transportation to sites and have flexible availability during clinic hours (Monday – Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m.). Health Coach Team meetings will be held weekly at the Highlands Clinic on a date and time to be determined.
If accepted into the program, Health Coaches will have access to exclusive training and the opportunity to engage with Valley Medical Center staff and providers. Upon successful completion of the year-long program, Health Coaches will qualify for $1,500 in scholarship funds to continue their healthcare education.
Please note that this is a selective admissions program where applicants will be screened and potentially asked to partake in a brief interview with RTC and VMC faculty before acceptance in to the program. Applicants must be 18 years of age prior to January 1, 2020.
For more information, contact Colleen Bassham (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Student Success Center Counseling and Advising.
View sample documents below: