Recognizing the needs of nursing mothers, Renton Technical College has opened a comfortable, private Lactation Room for use by students and employees. The Lactation Room includes a mini-refrigerator, comfortable seating and a side table, and electrical outlets for breast pumps. The secure room is located in the Allied Health Building, and access is available through Elaine Patrick.
Guidelines for Use
The Lactation Room is for use by nursing mothers only and may be used by employees and students.
- Registration is required for use on an ongoing basis. Access codes will be issued for room entry.
- The Lactation Room is available on a first-come, first-served basis Monday-Friday during business hours and as scheduled. The person whose name appears on the schedule at a designated time has priority use of the room at that scheduled time.
- If you need to see when the room is available or you would like to be added to the schedule, please contact Elaine Patrick. If you use the Lactation Room, it is your responsibility to keep yourself on schedule and notify Elaine of any changes in your schedule and/or discontinued use of the room.
- Mothers using the space are responsible for providing personal breast pumps and accessories.
- Abuse of any Lactation Room will suspend your right to use it and may result in disciplinary action as appropriate.
- It is the responsibility of everyone using the Lactation Room to clean up after themselves. This is not only out of respect for the next user, but to prevent contamination and illness transmission. The custodial staff will clean the rooms nightly as part of the regular cleaning schedule.
- Milk stored in the Lactation Room should be properly labeled with the mother’s name and date, so it is not inadvertently confused with another mother’s milk. Each person is responsible for proper labeling and storage of expressed milk. The College will not be responsible for stored milk and milk left in the refrigerator. Any milk not retrieved within three (3) calendar days will be properly discarded.
Additionally, there is a Lactation Room in Building M (Public Health) on the North end of campus. It is accessible off their lobby ad users are requested to check in with the receptionist if they intend to use it. Please contact Julie Stachowiak, 206-477-6905 or Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or comments about Lactation Room or its usage, contact: Human Resources at 425-235-7874. To schedule use of the room please contact Elaine Patrick at 425-235-2470 or in the Dean's office, room B-127.