This program prepares students to work in law firms, law-related offices, including the courts, government agencies, non-profits, and corporate legal departments as legal assistants, paralegal assistants, legal receptionists, clerks, litigation practice assistants, and legal support professionals.
To earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree, the student must complete an additional 15 credits of general education courses. Transfer credit from other institutions is considered upon validation of transcript and course work.
Enrollment Point: Fall, Winter, Spring
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
At Renton Technical College, tuition is affordable and competitive.
Federal aid is available for most students to help pay for school. Fill out your FAFSA now to get started.
The RTC Foundation offers scholarships to help pay the costs of attending school.
All costs are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
Hybrid: Tues., Thurs. & some Saturdays
Hours may vary based on specific program requirements. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum typing speed of 30 wpm (Students entering without keyboarding skills may take longer to complete.)
Course Requirements for Certificate:
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|COL 101||College Success||2|
|LGL 101||Introduction to the Legal Profession||5|
|LGL 105||Legal Keyboarding||1|
|LGL 108||Law Office Procedures I||5|
|LGL 109||Law Office Procedures II||5|
|LGL110||Family Law & Estate Planning Procedures||5|
|LGL 113||Business Law Procedures||5|
|LGL 117||Law Office Procedures III||5|
|LGL 120||Human Relations in the Legal Office||3|
|LGL 121||Word Processing||5|
|LGL 127||Office Applications I||4|
|LGL 128||Office Applications II||4|
|LGL 140||Technology in the Law Office||4|
|LGL 192||Job Search||4|
|LGL 199||Field Experience||5|
|LGL 201||Civil Litigation||5|
|AMATH 163V||Business Math||3|
|ENGL 075||Business English||4|
|ENGL 085||Business Communication||4|
Course Requirements for AAS Degree:
|Course #||Course Title||Credits|
|AMATH 175||Applied Mathematics for Business and Industry or|
|AMATH 190||Financial Algebra||5|
|CMST& 101||Introduction to Communication or|
|CMST& 220||Public Speaking||5|
|COMP 100||Applied Composition or|
|ENGL& 101||English Composition||5|
Learning Outcomes for Legal Assistant Program:
- Be able to work effectively and professionally in a legal environment.
- Demonstrate confidentiality and knowledge of ethics in the legal environment.
- Be able to prepare correspondence, pleadings, and a variety of legal documents from scratch, rough draft, forms, and boilerplate language.
- Demonstrate core level computer skills using current and widely used computer software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access.
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills to prioritize, anticipate, and analyze problems, and then to evaluate and implement solutions.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills to works effectively with clients, attorneys, paralegals, and other support staff.
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic legal office skills, such as proofreading, time and billing procedures, basic math computations, client intake, records management, handling mail, telephone and receptionist procedures, making travel and meeting arrangements and using office equipment.
External accreditation is not applicable to this program.