Application Development - Bachelor of Applied Science
Applications developers use computer languages to create programs that perform specific tasks on computers and other devices. It is a useful specialty for high-demand jobs such as website developer, database designer, support specialist, and software tester. The Bachelor of Applied Science program offers students a strong technical foundation and an understanding of science, communications, and quantitative reasoning. Students will learn to work in teams, manage IT projects, and prepare software documentation. They will cover subjects such as data analysis, application and software development, programming, and project management. Students must have a two-year technical associates degree to apply to this program.
Priority application deadline: March 30, 2018
Download the Admissions Packet.
Enrollment Point: Fall
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
At Renton Technical College, tuition is affordable and competitive.
Federal aid is available for most students to help pay for school. Fill out your FAFSA now to get started.
The RTC Foundation offers scholarships to help pay the costs of attending school.
All costs are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
6-8:30 p.m. Hybrid
Hours may vary based on specific program requirements. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
- An earned associate degree (or 90 equivalent college-level credits) in Information Technology or related area from a regionally accredited institution. First consideration will be given to those with an associate degree.
- A minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA across all college coursework.
- A minimum 2.0 GPA in the following IT courses:
- Programming courses in Object Oriented Programming – 5 credits
- Introductory coursework on relational databases – 5 credits
- Introductory coursework on Structured Query Language – 5 credits
- Completion of at least 20 credits of college-level General Education coursework with a minimum 2.0 GPA in English Composition (ENGL&101) or equivalent.
- Completion of Intermediate Algebra (MATH& 095) or equivalent.
- Personal statement – Applicants are required to write a 500 word maximum personal statement that describes how the BAS program will advance their professional goals. Example topics include previous career experience, unique attributes that the applicant will bring to the program, hardships the applicant has overcome in pursuing his/her educational or work goals, and other special considerations that the applicant believes will make them a good candidate for the program. The essay should be typewritten and in a legible font size.
Counselor and instructor interview.
|Core Technical Courses||Credits|
|CSI 331 Securing and Managing Data||5|
|CSI 332 Data Mining & Business Analytics||5|
|CSI 341 Web Development||5|
|CSI 342 Mobile Application Development||5|
|CSI 351 Systems Analysis and Design||5|
|CSI 352 Software Application Development||5|
|CSI 381 Principles of Human-Computer Interaction/GUI Design||5|
|CSI 434 Business Intelligence||5|
|CSI 443 Web Programming for Mobile Devices||5|
|CSI 453 Software Application Testing and Deployment||5|
|CSI 483 IT Project Management||5|
|CSI 492 Senior Capstone Project||5|
|CSI 494 Cooperative Education/Internship (optional)||10|
|Total Core Requirements||60|
General Education Courses
|PHIL 481||Legal and Ethical Aspects of IT||5|
|Communications Courses||Two Required||10|
|Quantitative Reasoning Courses||One Required||5|
|Humanities Courses||One Additional Required||5|
|Social Sciences||Two Required||10|
|Natural Sciences||Two Required||
|Elective Courses||Up to Three||15|
|Total General Education Requirements||30-40|
|Total BAS in Application Development Requirements||90|
Area of Concentration
Expected Learning Outcomes
External accreditation is not applicable to this program.