Baking is an art and a science, combining precision and attention to detail with an appeal to the senses. In this intensive program students will learn the basics of professional baking. Students will practice scaling and mixing, dough production, retail operations and oven work. They will also study bakery math, sanitary practices, customer service, human relations. Instruction takes place in a professional kitchen that supports a retail bakery featuring baked goods, cakes and pastries finished to industry standards.
In order to please customers as they get their days going, bakers rise early. Students in the Professional Baking Program have to be on campus at 6 a.m. We want you to know the hours beforehand, in case you're not a morning person. Check out this video of students talking about why they're willing to put in the early hours.
Enrollment Point: As openings occur
All program lengths are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
At Renton Technical College, tuition is affordable and competitive.
Federal aid is available for most students to help pay for school. Fill out your FAFSA now to get started.
The RTC Foundation offers scholarships to help pay the costs of attending school.
All costs are estimates and are not guarantees. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
Monday - Friday
6 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Hours may vary based on specific program requirements. For the most current program information, check with an adviser by calling (425) 235-5840.
- Counselor interview prior to registration.
- Food handler's permit.
- High school diploma or GED.
|Course #||Course Title||Crs|
|COL 101||College Success||2|
|BAK 101||Ovens I||3|
|BAK 105||Mixing I||3|
|BAK 106||Mixing II||3|
|BAK 108||Pies and Tarts||3|
|BAK 110||Yeast Doughs I||3|
|BAK 111||Yeast Doughs II||3|
|BAK 112||Puff Pastries||3|
|BAK 113||Cakes I||3|
|BAK 114||Cakes II||3|
|BAK 115||Artisan Bread I||3|
|BAK 116||Artisan Bread II||3|
|BAK 117||Bakery Operations I||3|
|BAK 118||Bakery Operations II||3|
|BAK 170||Industry Communications||4|
|BAK 180||Human Relations||4|
|AMATH 161R||Bakery Math||3|
Learning Outcomes for Professional Baking Program:
- Manage a multitude of tasks in a ever changing bakery production facility;
- Convert weights and measurements in a baking environment to correctly calculate industry recipes/formulas;
- Utilize positive communication and human relations skills in a diverse bakery;
- Apply proper safety and sanitation standards in a bakery environment;
- Utilize bakery equipment and terminology to produce a variety of bakery products;
- Demonstrate knowledge and ability to create breads, pies, pastries, cookies and doughnuts in a production bakery.
External accreditation is not applicable to this program.