Request a Public Record
In 1972, Washington enacted the Public Records act to assure citizens of the state transparency and access to government. As a state agency, we are subject to the provisions of the Washington state public disclosure laws (RCW 42.56) governing access to public records and will respond accordingly. There may be exemptions to disclosure that may prohibit the college from releasing certain documents. The college will provide a brief explanation for any exemption to disclosure.
Please note: Test results, transcripts and payment receipts are NOT public records. Requests for such items should be made through Enrollment Services.
How do I make a request?
Send a written request to us which should include:
- Your name, full mailing address, email address and telephone number
- A detailed information of the requested record(s); and
- Indicate in what format you would like to receive the documents
- Review records at the college; or
- Have paper copies mailed; or
- Receive documents mailed via DVD; or
- Have documents emailed, when appropriate.
Send your request by:
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 425-235-7865
- Mail to:
Renton Technical College/ Public Records
Attn: Vice President of Human Resources
3000 NE Fourth Street
Renton, WA 98056
What happens after you receive my request?
Within 5 business days of receiving a request the college will:
- Provide the requested documents
- Notify that no record exists
- Acknowledge the request and ask for additional clarification(s); or
- Acknowledge the request and provide an estimated timeline by which the records will be provided
Records not exempt may contain personal or other information which may require us to notify affected individual(s) of the request. We may provide affected individual(s) a reasonable opportunity to seek court protection from disclosure.
Are there costs?
There generally is little cost for electronic copies. However, not all documents are available electronically. Current costs for documents include:
- $0.15 per page for paper copies
- $0.10 per page for scanning hard copies
- Cost of postage for copies or CD/DVD’s sent through the mail
- Cost of CD/DVD if electronic records are too large to be sent through email system or if documents are requested in this format
What are my options if a request is denied?
- Provide a written request for review to the Records Officer.
- The request will be reviewed by the college president or his/her designee.