Veteran Services

Military Friendly School 2018 Silver Award

REMOTE OFFICE HOURS: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Serving Those Who Served

The Veteran Services Office provides prompt and thorough service to veteran students in a confidential, respectful, and safe environment. Veteran Services offers assistance to veterans when choosing educational and vocational goals, building community, and increasing their potential. A wide range of support services and resources are offered which increases the potential of individuals to complete their academic goals successfully.

Educational Benefits

If you want to receive educational benefits through the VA, you must apply through the Renton Technical College Veterans Services office. We recommend that you apply as early as possible.  Please view step-by-step instructions on the “Veterans Quick Start Guide page.

Renton Technical College is proud to offer a twenty-five percent tuition discount to all Veterans that have received an Honorable discharge from the military. To receive this discount, the Veteran must provide a copy of their DD214 reflecting the Honorable discharge upon registration. RTC also offers eligible Veterans, National Guard members, and their spouses who are using Veteran's benefits early registration for our classes/programs. A definition of “eligible Veterans and national guard members” can be found at the following by clicking here: RCW 28B.15.621- Tuition waivers and textbook stipends—Veterans and national guard members—Dependents—Private institutions.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government - Veterans Affairs GI Bill website.

Veteran's Quick Start Guide

Are you a Veteran or dependent seeking to use VA Education Benefits? Getting started is a simple multi-step process at Renton Technical College:

As a student veteran, you have multiple applications to complete.  These applications can be completed concurrently.  You are advised to start your financial aid application as early as possible due to lengthy processing times.

Use this step-by-step instruction steps below on how to get started.

How to Get Started

  1. Apply for your VA Educational Benefits:
  2. Meet with an Entry Advisor to explore career pathways, college services and discuss entry requirements. To schedule an appointment with an Advisor call (425) 235-2352 or visit the Student Success Center located in the Roberts Campus Center, Building I.
  3. Apply for admission to Renton technical College:
    • Online Services (Click on the "Admission" link in the left navigation)
    • Mail the application to:
      Renton Technical College
      3000 NE Fourth Street
      Renton, WA 98056
    • In person at the Admissions/Registration department in building I - Roberts Campus Center during business hours.
    • There is a non-refundable application fee required
  4. Apply for Financial Aid:
  5. Request Official Transcripts from other schools you’ve previously attended
  6. Request Official Joint Service transcript (JST) from classes you received while in service:
  7. Meet with the Veteran Services Manager Wade Parrott at 425-235-2352 ext. 5805 or by email at

Credit for Non-Traditional Learning

Veterans may receive course credit based upon American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations in the Joint Service Transcript and through course challenges based on their Military Occupation Specialty (MOS). The course challenge fee is waived for veterans if the challenge is based upon the MOS. Veterans, like other students, may not earn more than 75% of the requirements for a credential through non-traditional learning.

Re-admission To RTC

RTC supports the re-admission and enrollment of Veteran students. Interested students should contact the Veterans Services Office and the Student Success Center when returning to the college.  The Veterans Services Office will then facilitate the process of advising, re-enrollment, priority placement into programs, registration and funding information.

Military Spouses at RTC

Military spouses seeking to start college or re-enter college whether utilizing VA benefits or not are encouraged to contact the Veteran’s Navigator who will guide them through funding paperwork, application, and registration.

Links and Resources for Veterans

Click here for helpful information about different resources and information that is available for veterans.

Links and Resources for Military Spouses

Click here for helpful information about different resources and information that is available for spouses.